Monday, June 17, 2013

The Sling Diaries Love + Adventure, Vol. III: Joy




































Odin,

Last week you stood for the first time unassisted. You've been taking a step or two but would then quickly topple down and crawl instead. Everyone's been telling me that one day you're just going to start walking and then there'll be no turning back. Well earlier this week, late one evening, you decided that that time had come. You walked back and forth from your mumma and your papa for nearly half an hour and then refused to sleep until almost 11. I can't believe it happened so quickly and now I can see that what they said was true. You're walking all over now and I know very soon your preference will be to walk and you'll no longer want to crawl.

In a wave of emotion were bits of excitement and also a little sadness. Missing the baby you once were but oh so eager to see the child you're becoming. You grow smarter and a tiny bit more independent every day. I do love seeing this. I love seeing the excitement and happiness on your face as you learn something new.

After that night of walking all over the house, after you fell asleep at my breast, I thought about our night. You seemed so big only moments before, but nuzzled on my arm at my chest you seemed to be that same little baby you were a year ago. Slumbering so peacefully on your mama, I didn't want that moment to end. I felt so torn. Throughout the night, I dreamed of you growing. I realized that your newfound feat filled you with joy, you were all smiles and giggles as you took those first steps. Those smiles are the source of my joy. Those smiles are what lights the fire in my heart and keeps it beating.

We woke up the next morning and helped your papa get ready for work. I had spent the night saying goodbye to my little baby boy and embracing this more independent child you were quickly becoming. I kissed your precious little face more times than I can count as you slept peacefully beside me. After a night of preparing myself for the newly walking toddler I knew I'd wake up to, I was surprised when you pointed to our sling and repeated "ma ma ma ma." I wrapped you in silk and you smiled gently. You rested your head under my chin and stayed that way for the entire morning. We nursed and danced and napped and giggled all while you stayed close to your mama.

Even as you continue to grow into a wild golden little boy, I've realized that you will forever be my little baby. I have never felt more happiness than in the moments I've spent with you and your papa. You two are my everything and my life has never felt so full.

I love you, my little boy,
your mama
xo




I am wearing Sakura Bloom's Essential Linen sling in Twilight~Wheat.
You can find our previous Sling Diaries here.




14 comments:

  1. My heart just melted, sigh. Beautiful words, beautiful images, beautiful family! And your illustration is just priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. michelle, this is utter perfection. your beautiful words are bittersweet and hopeful. i am just in love with these pictures, and you must tell me where your skirt is from! you are a dream mama with a dream baby. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skirt is Free People from a couple years ago! And YOU, m'dear, and your darling tigerlily are the stuff dreams are MADE of!

      Delete
  3. beautiful michelle ...how lucky is odin and zak?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle this is beyond lovely. So, so happy to have found your little corner of the web! Your beautiful photos and sweet words are such a gift. Thanks for sharing :) xoxo - Tisse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words!! I hope to spread joy in this little way..

      Delete
  5. Ok, - this is just so so so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, mama. Thank you!!! You're my favorite!!! <3

      Delete
  6. These photos are so beautiful!

    I wanted to stop by and invite you to share your link in my babywearing blog hop. Hope to see you over on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I'll hop over. I hope I figure it out! haha.

      Delete
  7. Everytime you post one of these I feel super happy. You are such a beautiful mama Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. <3 I always hope that sharing small bits of my life will at least bring a smile to one person's face.

      Delete