Monday, July 8, 2013

farmer's market + fare isle





Our little island community is absolutely fantastic. I'm from Florida and never really experienced the small town feel, but Nantucket (especially when you become a year round resident). If there's something you need (an extra carseat because family's visiting? a table for an upcoming party? a last minute babysitter?), someone on island has you covered. Usually it's a friend or friend of a friend. We have one main grocery store and I think almost every time we go in, someone approaches us and asks, "Is that Odin? I've seen his photos on the internet! Hello Odin!" This can be inconvenient as you can't ever avoid anyone, but in a way I think that's for the best. The community bands together when needed and supports one another, which can't be said for many communities. 

I love visiting the farmer's market and meeting local musicians as well as local artisans. There are tons of fantastic products and homemade art. I thought about setting up a booth this year, but I was not prepared in the least. Next summer, I'd love to participate though! We've been trying to make it to town every Saturday to visit the market. Our favorite booth is Fare Isle's lovely spot and we always try to purchase some sort of goody while we're there. It's usually accompanied by live music, which Odin loves. We try to bring along a musical instrument for him to play alongside the musicians. 

What is your neighborhood like? 

5 comments:

  1. hahaha people in our town always come up to me and ask me the same thing about rosalita!! it's so funny because i never have the slightest idea who they are, but they know her from the internet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social media can be a little scary I think! haha.

      Delete
  2. We live in a relatively small town too and having come from a big city, I really enjoy the warmth and friendliness that abounds here. Sounds like your beautiful island is even smaller! So funny people recognise Odin :) I have had random people recognise one of my daughters (when we lived in the huge city no less) which I always thought was kind of funny.
    I can imagine Odin playing alongside the musicians! You are seem like such a wonderfully artsy musical family. You guys inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our island is only about 14 miles long, so it's pretty itty bitty. Sometimes a little bit too small though!

      Delete
  3. We love having visits from Michelle and Odin every Saturday at the farmers market!

    ReplyDelete